| Cloud Trouble is a Featured Article
"Cloud Trouble" has been featured, meaning it was deemed an article of interest by the Community.
“What we saw in that mission was not what we always dreamed of by looking at the stars from afar. After that disaster, we realized that space is not only made of wonders.”
- - Prixma, Grisha Squad Leader
Cloud Trouble was a research mission conducted by the Grisha Squad, a special advanced team of Sphinx Researchers of the Ulter Empire, in the gas giant Garumia of the Cahous System. The purpose of the mission was to enter the gas giant atmosphere, analyze its internal structure through advanced devices and build a floating base that would continuously take materials from the planet. The chances of success of the mission were numerously debated by several scientists and advisors of the republic, but in the end it was approved by the court of the republic and by the president Xajit Sal himself.
Major Cast Edit
- Prixma: The main leader of the Grisha Squad. He followed his father's footsteps in his military career and then took the path of scientific research as his mother did. Prixma has always been a great leader and has always brought his team united until the end of the missions.
- Jiehur: Twin brother of Prixma. He took the same path as his brother, unlike he had a career as a commander. His old career did not last long due to a military disaster that traumatized him throughout his life, and this led him to be stiffer but also stronger against any adversity.
- Faiveh: The oldest member of the team. Faiveh has always been a lover of biology since he was a kid so as to make him become a successful biologist. He loves genetics and the composition of mysterious organisms so much that he would also give his life to discover something new.
- Lodim: Young technology expert, Lodim has always been a guru of gears and programs. He's like a living encyclopedia of the Ulterian technology as far as he knows it well, and if he finds himself in front of an unknown technology he would be able to codify it without any problem.
- Vijal: Considered the "psychedelic scientist" due to his past, Vijal has always been a scholar who has always wanted to make sense of every kind of thing that does not. He has always tried to combine science and philosophy in a single thought, trying to go beyond normal knowledge. He could have a strange personality but he still remains one of the greatest scholars of the republic.
These were the first years of space for the republic: prosperous, calm and full of discoveries, Ulters' curiosity for knowledge had no limits. The star colonies were expanding at a great speed and without further problems, the contacts with alien empires were always peaceful and also led to positive agreements and the galactic Ulter Empire reached high and satisfying interstellar levels shortly. But the golden space age did not last long, not after the "Cloud Trouble" Disaster.
It was the second-last month of 07 ACA. The Grisha team came back from the "GM01" mission and their leader, Prixma, had to report the entire mission. It wasn't supposed to be one of those simple reports where you just had to give all the information gained during the missions, not this time. It was a failed mission that involved deaths and threats that would probably be harmful to the entire Ulterian race, a possible imminent danger to the life of everyone. Something that the republic wasn't capable to know and understand. After a long time, fear entered again into life.
Prixma entered, quietly and with an absent mood, in an isolated room generally used for private military meetings. The room was small and completely white, separated from all noise that could be heard outside, and inside it there was a table and two chairs, on which one was seated General Mixon, the old military leader of the brother Jiehur. Prixma calmly sat down on the other chair to wait for a further order or question, while the general stared deeply into his eyes for a long time.
- Mixon: "What you saw ... it was something terrifying. Your eyes do not lie."
- Prixma: "Correct, sir. It was unbelievable."
- Mixon: "Well, be strong son. As your brother has always been, this time you must be stronger than ever. You have to tell me everything, with every little detail."
There was a long silence, interrupted at the end by a strong breath by Prixma.
- Prixma: "All right, I'm ready. But you must be strong too sir, because nothing can explain what we have encountered. What we saw in that mission was not what we always dreamed of by looking at the stars from afar. After that disaster, we realized that space is not only made of wonders. It's also made of monstrosities.
- Mixon: "I know, and I want to hear everything you have to say just to burke these terrors. Come on son, tell me about the "Cloud Trouble", we might not have much time."
Chapter 1: Aerophobia Edit
03 ACA. The Orgalia spaceship was almost ready for departure and the entire squad in charge of the mission was preparing for the ship's entry. In the take-off area, in anticipation of the last touches before take-off, Prixma already met one of the team members, and he was a familiar face.
- Prixma: "I didn't think I'd ever see you again in a such a place."
- Jiehur: "And I didn't think I'd ever have you as a captain."
The two brothers hug each other with strength and great compassion. After a few seconds, they release and continue to speak.
- Prixma: "It's good to see you again brother. I'm glad you came back to do such missions."
- Jiehur: "Really? The hell Prix, I was ready to hear another one of your bullshits about not go in such dangers." - He said laughing with his brother.
- Jiehur: "Anyway, yes, it's nice to come back for me too. And having you next to me makes me feel even more secure."
- Prixma: "I can't help but say the same thing."
In the meantime, the other members of the team arrived, ready for take-off.
- Lodim: "Wow, seeing a new member of the team looking the same as the captain does sure give a certain disgust."
- Jiehur: "Seeing a kid like you on a mission like this is even more troubling. You didn't forget the feeding bottle did you?"
The rest of the crew laughs except for Lodim, whose face is annoyed.
- Prixma: "You don't want to stand against my brother Lodim, he gets easily angry."
- Faiveh: "Actually it's not convenient to go against another one for the duration of the mission. I wouldn't want them to start arguing at critical moments."
- Vijal: "Um, captain, perhaps you should introduce us our new member?"
- Prixma: "Right, forgive me. I present to you Jiehur, my twin brother and former commander of the armed forces. Jiehur, the kid you just humiliated is Lodim, the other two are Faiveh and Vijal."
- Jiehur: "It's a pleasure to be on your team" - he said doing a military salute.
- Faiveh: "Yes it is also a pleasure for us, but avoid that kind of greeting. You know that we are not real soldiers."
The conversation was interrupted by a communication from the departure staff:
- Communicator: "The ship Orgalia is almost completed for take-off. The Grisha Squad is asked to enter the spaceship and prepare for take-off as well. Thank you."
- Prixma: "Well folks, let's go to the ship. Come on come on!"
The squad headed for the space ship and then entered it. It was one of the best exploration ships that had ever been built, precisely because it was built for the mission the team was in charge of. It could also be considered one of the largest and most resistant space ships; it was obvious that the Grisha Squad was going to go in a planet with possible environmental hazards and that's why it was important to make the ship as resistant as possible. In addition, the magnitude was also fundamental, it was possible that the crew could gather from tens to hundreds of materials.
- Advisor X08: "Captain Prixma, this is Laborer X08. I have been commissioned as your advisor. Do you receive me?"
- Prixma: "This is Captain Prixma, I hear you loud and clear Advisor."
- Advisor X08: "Great. We are ready to let you go, are you comfortable?"
- Prixma: "More comfortable than ever before X08, ready for take-off."
- Advisor x08: "Roger that Captain. Starting the countdown."
The 30-second countdown appeared on the main screens of the ship. Shortly before the time ran out, Prixma took a deep look at his brother. He saw that he was concentrated in the mission already in his first moments, but he noticed a bother in his mind, something that probably troubled him. Shortly thereafter Prixma looked away, and looked ahead.
- Advisor X08: "Orgalia active. Time for take off!"
The engines of the ship immediately gave their maximum power, it did not take long for the Orgalia to reach its great speed. They arrived in the boundless space regularly and without unexpected events, and the destination of the mission, Garumia, was on the horizon in its great splendor of enormous grandeur.
With the automatic pilot active, Prixma rallied the entire team to talk about the entire mission operation in the central primary hall.
- Prixma: "Before you take a moment to relax, I would like that everyone does a revision of the entire operation. It never hurts."
- Jiehur: "More than revision I bet you will make questions of the topic to us."
- Lodim: "Yeah, you got it."
- Prixma: "Wow, you guys surely know me well." - he said with a sigh and a sarcastic look.
- Faiveh: "In any case, it must be a revision anyway, especially for Lodim."
- Lodim: "Heh, he knows me well instead" - he said laughing.
- Prixma: "Ok, enough with laughter and chating. Here's the plan: As soon as we're close to the planet, we will turn off the autopilot, of course, to begin entering the first atmosphere. Then, Jiehur, what do we do right after we pass it?"
- Jiehur: "We activate the material protection of the ship and proceed to enter the second atmosphere with caution."
- Prixma: "Well, you're still the one who studies at home luckily. After that, Lodim?"
Lodim, distracted as always, jumped slightly and began to think for a long time as usual.
- Lodim: "Um, we try to land on the mantle of the north-central area... right?"
- Prixma: "Mhm, almost. You only went a little further and skipped a crucial point."
- Vijal: "First we have to get through the storms with the anti-hydrogen barrier. We would all be dead by skipping this part."
- Prixma: "Right. Lodim I swear that the next time you forget something I'll send you home with a capsule of hermit."
- Lodim: "Heheh sorry Chief."
Prixma sighed, then said:
- Prixma: "Ok ok, then what do we do next, Faiveh?"
- Faiveh: "We place the Hildar date collector on the frozen mantle so that it reaches the core of the planet. Then we proceed with the exit from the planet as we entered and wait for more information."
- Prixma: "Very well, and this was the general summary of what we will have to do as soon as we are on Garumia. Now take a moment of pause to prepare for the landing, we're also almost there."
The Orgalia had entered the magnetosphere of Garumia within a few hours without any difficulty, the entry into the planet's atmosphere was now imminent. However, the ship's database received some rather strange data.
- Lodim: "Chief, the database has found some bizarre magnetic statistics."
- Prixma: "I see, Lodim." - he said, and then opened a communication with the Cataejana space base:
- Prixma: "This is Captain Prixma of the Grisha Squad, do you copy advisor?"
- Advisor X08: "Yes captain, what is it?"
- Prixma: "We have strange data from the magnetic force of the planet, do you receive them?"
- Advisor X08: "Yes ... it's really strange - it could be an anomaly in the ship's database."
- Prixma: "Can you still analyze them? They are completely unpacked, too much for my taste."
- Advisor X08: "Sure captain, just one second."
- Jiehur: "Brother, maybe it's really a database malfunction, after all, the magnetosphere of this planet is very powerful. I'm sure that once we cross the first atmosphere the anomalies will cease."
- Prixma: "You might be right Jiehur, yet all this seems too suspicious. The Orgalia should be strong enough even for the extreme magnetic force of Garumia, and despite this, these data are too much altered. I wouldn't like it to be something else to cause this-"
- Advisor X08: "Captain, we have finished the analysis. We can confirm that it is only some anomalies from the magnetosphere that alternated your statistics. There is nothing to worry about."
- Prixma: "Ok, we will proceed with the mission then. Prixma out."
- Jiehur: "You're not convinced yet, are you?"
Prixma turned his gaze to his brother, his face was rather tense and definitely not serene.
- Jiehur: "As I suspected."
The Grisha Squad proceeded into the mission and were ready to cross the planet's atmosphere. The statistics detected by the database became more and more altered, but despite this, Prixma still wanted to proceed with the mission. Yet they did not know what this would bring them to meet with this choice ...
- Vijal: "Captain, we entered the atmosphere."
- Prixma: "Great, get ready for-"
Pixma was then interrupted by the lack of energy of the spaceship, along with an alarm.
- Faiveh: "What the hell is happening!?"
- Lodim: "The spaceship has suddenly lost power. Chief, the Orgalia is completely inactive!"
- Prixma: "Shit ... start the emergency energy, quick!"
- Jiehur: "Guys, what's that light?"
Everyone looked to the outside of the ship. A bizarre light surrounded the whole perimeter and became more and more intense and blinding. The team didn't understand what was happening and, shortly before Prixma gave another order, the whole spaceship was completely enveloped by that light. You could only see white, and you could only feel nothingness. Moments later, the Orgalia was deviating towards a strange grayish surface, but fortunately the ship also resumed the entire power of energy. The team immediately managed to regain control of the ship to don't enter into collusion. After that, Prixma, after checking that everyone was alright, tried to contact the Advisor. But nothing to do, the communications were totally cut off; all they heard was a strong interference. The team, therefore, landed on the surface of the alleged planet they were on, still remaining though inside the ship.
- Prixma: "Lodim, give me a report on the current place."
- Lodim: "Shouldn't we be on Garumia?"
- Jiehur: "Look around kid, do you think this is our gas giant?"
They were on a bizarre, greyish planet, with a flora that seemed quite alive, way too much. It didn't look like they were on a gas giant.
- Lodim: "... I will try to find out where we are now."
Lodim analyzed the surrounding area with the scanner of the spaceship, hoping to find answers.
- Lodim: "The Orgalia couldn't identify any kind of data from that strange light of before, regarding this planet... well... it's not Garumia, that's for sure. It's a planet with a large presence of life forms. I still can't find anything else, the scanner just can't identify anything."
- Vijal: "This is impossible! The Orgalia is equipped with a scanner that can identify any kind of unknown life!"
- Faiveh: "These life forms are probably unique in their composition, so as not to be understood by our technology."
- Prixma: "Lodim, are you sure the Orgalia has not been damaged?"
- Lodim: "I'm not sure chief, I have no way of confirming if the spaceship has suffered some unknown anomalies."
- Jiehur: "We should get out of here"
- Vijal: "Are you kidding? We are in a total new place that we probably can not yet understand. We should go out and study this planet."
- Prixma: "Absolutely not, Vijal! We don't know where we are and we don't even know if we are still in our solar system. Moreover the purpose of this mission was to reach Garumia, not a planet that we can not even analyze with our scanners!"
- Faiveh: "Although I am terribly tempted to study the life of this planet, our captain is right. We have to leave immediately."
- Lodim: "Then it's better that we prepare for take-off."
- Lodim: "Exactly. Everyone get to their seats and prepare for immediate evacuation."
The whole team returned to the assigned seats for everyone to prepare to take off. However ...
- Faiveh: "Captain, I reveal a huge life form near us."
- Prixma: "Let's think about getting out of here, Faiveh."
- Lodim: "Captain you don't understand, this creature seems twice as much as Orgalia!"
On the face of Prixma appeared a face of enormous anguish, and when he looked at the data that the ship had scanned on the huge unknown life form approaching, the captain's anxiety rose even more suddenly.
- Prixma: "Take off, now! Now!"
The team immediately started to get up from the surface, but it was too late; The Orgalia was overwhelmed by a huge hit from a enormous creature. The whole ship flew away from that terrible stroke, and then crashed immeasurably meters away from the place they were before. The whole team was senseless, the only one who had fainted last was Prixma, who saw a huge monstrous figure on the horizon, while emitting a powerful roar. And shortly after, all that the captain saw was total darkness. The Grisha Squad's mission, after that terrible accident, took a huge and horrible turn.
Chapter 2: Lost Minds Edit
--- more coming soon ---
- This fiction story was written by Phoetux.