“It is our life-force, the reason why we are alive, the reason for our existence, our actions and our thoughts. It is a way of thinking, an uncontrollable current that runs though us all. Light and dark, everything is borne out of pure Essence.”
- - Unknown
Essence is a phenomenon that relates to both consciousness, in that qualia are attached to patterns of Essence, and "supernatural" forces that can be utilised by conscious beings.
The basis of Essence is a non-quantum field that exists beyond framework governing the rest of physics. As Essence is not made of discrete particles, it is not subject to quantum or thermodynamic limits, and its interactions are self-modifying in such a way that they are not limited to being symmetric (the effects of a region of Essence on its surroundings need not be equivalent to the effects of the surroundings on the Essence), and hence they can be used to circumvent conservation laws.
However, Essence is more than just this phenomenon on its own; it is, much like life or technology, a result of the interactions between a variety of physical events. In particular, a significant feature of Essence is the ability of conscious material entities to use Essence to influence their environment. A basic description of this process starts in the interactions within matter that make up consciousness, particularly in living brains or synthetic minds, which become naturally correlated with corresponding patterns in the Essence field known as "souls". Because of this association with consciousness, Essence may tie into scientific theories such as Cosmospawn Theory, and even religious beliefs such as the One God as worshipped by many civilisations across the universe.
However, for Essence to be controlled rather than remain an epiphenomenon, this matter must emit particles (often biophotons) which have sufficient energy to affect the extra dimensions of hyperspace, forming complementary patterns across these extra dimensions. Due to the folded shape of three-dimensional realspace within hyperspace, these patterns extend much further through space than than those limited to realspace. With training or engineering, the patterns can be controlled completely by the realspace consciousness that they originated from; some consciousnesses even move partly or entirely to hypermatter in the process of Ascension.
When combined with the interactions of the non-quantum Essence field, this control is what is responsible for Essence "abilities" or "powers", such as extra-sensory perception and telekinesis from transfer of information directly via the hyperspatial patterns (ESP is from the outside world to the consciousness, while telekinesis is in the other direction), precognition from using hypermatter as a computing substrate to rapidly calculate possible outcomes, and teleportation by moving the body through hyperspace without having to traverse the realspace between the origin and end point.
Materialised Essence Edit
Materialised Essence is matter that has been connected to Essence in such a way that said Essence will be responsive to mental commands directed through the matter, and can take advantage of both Essence's freedom from, and matter's adherence to, conventional physical laws. The most common materialised Essence is fluidic Essence, which is often known as (pure) energy (sometimes capitalised) although this is technically incorrect and can often cause confusion with the physical concept of energy. Fluidic Essence can be easily produced by many Essence users, usually by channeling hypermatter, and often takes the form of glowing gas, liquid, or beams of plasma.
Solidified Essence is significantly less common and is usually produced by Essentials for the benefit or detriment of mortals. There are four main categories of solidified Essence, classified on the basis of how they can be used.
- Aneumetrites specifically violate conservation laws. The excess quantities can be either contained within the crystal (as in antigravity aneumetrite, which produces excess momentum and so can be used for reactionless propulsion or free energy) or emitted as particles.
- Metavlitites are minerals in which Essence is arranged to give them arbitrary values of material properties such as heat capacity, elasticity, susceptibility, conductivities, and phase transition and failure points. Some metavlitites even have combinations of properties that would normally contradict each other in regular matter, such as metal-like crystals that have high reflectivity and malleability but almost zero electrical conductivity. Due to its nigh-invulnerability, Gyronidium is a particularly sought-after metavlitite for use in armour and spaceship hulls, but for the same reason can only be worked using Essence, while Shidium is a multipurpose metavlitite well known for its use by the Zazane.
- Negentropite exists as shiny lumps of nearly pure Essence. Since it has no temperature and does not absorb heat, it can be used to make devices that violate the second law of thermodynamics by fully converting heat into useful work. This involves negentropite dust, negentropite nanobots bound to metavlitites with a high heat capacity. Negentropite is usually harvested from hyperspace and used to keep starships and ecumenopoleis from overheating, but can also be used to overcome the quantum and thermodynamic limits to computation. Powerful Essence users can produce their own negentropite dust while summoning fire to make hot flames that emit no light and may even absorb it.
- Veneficites allow individuals to utilise Essence by assimilating into their bodies; they usually have aneumetrite and metavlitite features to aid this purpose. Holomatter is a benign veneficite that provides access to Chronoscopic, while Chaotic veneficites corrupt the body in the process of Descension.
Division and Variations Edit
Essence is divided into several "Energies", named for similar reasons as fluidic Essence. Each Energy is believed to be a result of "pure Essence" being filtered through an Essence-based consciousness, thereby being influenced by the consciousness in terms of the abilities that it is focused on. Although Essence is only directly known from the Energies that manifest themselves in reality, the study of these Energies for many millennia has resulted in the model of "pure Essence" being created.
The different Energies fall into three categories: Chaotic, Celestial, and Elemental. Most of them have associated Essentials, godforms, and Planes of Existence, although there is no rigorous structure to these associations. While the reasons are unknown, many Energies also have particular colours associated with them and their materialised forms.
The Elemental category is further divided into Elemental Energy and Chronoscopic. The distinction between the two is that Elemental Energy itself is contained within the four-dimensional universe and hyperspace, while Chronoscopic is five-dimensional and capable of manipulating 4D worldlines and timelines. While Chronoscopic has Vyro'Nazdea, the Vyro'Narza and the Vyro'Ralza, and its materialised forms are associated with gold and green for "light" Narza-associated Essence and red, purple and black for "dark" Ralza-associated Essence, Elemental has neither Essentials nor materialisations.
Elemental Energy is the most common Energy, found in all life across the universe; it is one of the most well-known Energies and has therefore been known by numerous other names by thousands of other civilisations across the universe and throughout history. It is based around the principle of balance, to the point that using it to go to any particular extreme is harmful for the user and its surroundings alike. A few powers were once classed as being distinct from Elemental, but are actually other means of accessing the same Energy. For example, the "Four Synthetic Essences" are ultimately accessed from Elemental accumulated in the body over time.
Celestial and Chaotic Edit
The Celestial and Chaotic Energies are described poetically as "light" or "good" and "dark" or "evil" respectively (primarily due to most complex life being incapable of thriving within the influence of Chaotic Energies). Most Celestial and Chaotic Energies come in pairs, with the two Energies in each pair being polar opposites and nullifying each other upon physical contact.
The primary Celestial and Chaotic Energies are Mystic and Chaos respectively. The three other pairs are Life and Death, Dream and Entropic, and Psionic/Pharia and Demonic. These are all summarised in the table below.
|Mystic||Ultimate One||Various||Blue-purple||Atlantica Realms, Heaven|
|Chaos||Xhodocto||Various||None||Arx, Equilibrium, Erebus, Insomnia, Tangent|
|Life||Krathazhrukhal||Vi'Navitum||White, gold, blue||Erratsactum|
|Death||Angazhar||Xi'Arazulha||Red, aquamarine, black||Shard|
|Dream||Sonhadromerith||Thoi'olerthae||Blue-white, gold||Realm of Dreams|
|Entropic||Shu'rimrodir||Shu'olerthae||Red-purple, black||Nightmare Region|
|Psionic, Pharia||Singul'Aren||Xol'Etra||None||Iluvii Realm|
|Demonic||Angazhar||Samut'angar||Red, orange, black||Inferno|
Descension Energy (associated with Vaxal Myraad and the Aichatharna) is a Chaotic Energy that does not fit into this classification, for it was originally an Elemental-like Essence from another universe before its corruption by the Accursed Quinquennium.
Practitioners of Essence Edit
Almost every living being in the universe is thought to possess some form of Essence. When a creature uses any Energy, it is incorporated into their soul, flowing through their bodies via specific points known as "meridians" and "subtle bodies" in a complex structure. Almost every culture in the universe has its own perceptions on Essence, nearly all wielding Elemental as it permeates all of reality, and has different uses and groups. The varied forms of Essence have sometimes gone to the extent of defining entire cultures throughout history, as is the case, for example, of Psionic Energy. This page concerns universal societies.
An 'Essence Sage' is an individual with certain mastery, knowledge (and thus authority) of a certain/multiple energies. Most societies inspired by the Essentials, such as the Onuris Alliance, use the concept of "Essence Sages".
- Less than 3D mortal: Unknown
- 3D Mortal: After being trained by another Sage and a Taldar, a Ravenrii and Verezaph or a Xhodocto for at least a few years, they can be recognised as an Essence Sage for the energy they were practising.
- They must be part of the Onuris Alliance, or else this is normally not accepted.
- Their future must be completely analysed by the Taldar to prove safe and beneficial, with several checks made for Dark Chronoscopic clouding the future.
- They must undergo at least 20 (timeless) years of practice (by testing their energy, mind and body to the limits), pilgrimages (to several Essence-related locations) and tests (testing mind, body and soul for the limits, and pushing them).
- Very few individuals do get this opportunity.
- Higher than 3D Mortal: They are given similar tests to 3D, but these are much more complex and difficult.
- Immortal: Immortals usually already are Sages.
Essence Sages have around a quarter of the power a member of the Essentials with their specialist energy. They can channel and manipulate energies perfectly, and have total knowledge of the energy. They are given authority of their energy, as well as total responsibility. They also serve as mentors of essence practiser. Some Sages can train even further and become immortal.