A modification (commonly referred to simply as a "Mod" for short) is a file or any set of files that will alter or modify the way Spore works or add or eliminate content. Spore handles mods as a "Package" file, similar to the Sims 2. Many major mods such as BetterSpore, Platinum spore, and Orbit Spore bring in sweeping changes to Spore.
- You can make your own modification in it.
- Unpacking and packing of .package files, with automatic conversion of .prop files to and from .xml. files.xml is no longer necessary.
- Packing of .rw4 (RenderWare 4) model and texture files (from OGRE3D XML format and DDS format respectively) with packages, making part creation possible for the first time.
- XML property files are more user-friendly than in previous mod tools, using names instead of hashes where possible. XML files are order-independent.
- Full text indexing of .xml and .locale files in the unpacked package, to permit very fast incremental search. Search for keywords separated by spaces or “literal phrases”.
- Side-by-side comparison of file tree in Spore and the mod under development. One-click execution of WinMerge to see and edit changes in an individual file.
- Built in syntax highlighting editor.
- Image and model viewers.
- Tools for guessing the original names for hashes and for creating friendly aliases for hashes that can’t be guessed (or that were randomly generated by EA).
Another tool that can be used for XML file editing is Notepad ++.
Popular mods Edit
Warning! Spore Modding Site is Dead so its like all the Links here is not working We NEED AN UPDATE TO THE LINKS!
Platinum spore Edit
Platinum spore is a mod made by the modder vexx32. It has a wide range of features and includes many new space stage weapons and technology. Platinum spore also incorporates many of BallLightning's BetterSpore Tools, as well as over a hundred other changes. The Current version is 1.8.5. The site is dedicated to modding of all Spore, it is free to join, but still a small forum.
- In Cell stage Platinum Spore changes the normal cell editor with a 3D editor allowing for advanced modifications such as spine tweaking.
- In Creature stage it adds and changes many features such as packs of rogues.
- In Tribal Stage it adds features such as the amount of tribe members you can have and the number of spots available for tool sheds.
- In Civilization Stage no major modifications are made just the names of the nations are changed.
- In Space stage many new features and weapons are added such as the ion cannon.
BetterSpore is a usermade Expansion modification by BallLightning. Version 1.5.1 was released on March 13th 2009 and version 1.6 was going to be released after Spore Galactic Adventures, however development ceased before BetterSpore 1.6 was created.
50 parts which were already in the official game are added to the Creature Creator. 40 cell parts and 10 Grox parts. Originally there were 10 new custom parts coming but they were scrapped due to bugs.
Other Features Edit
OrbitSpore is a mod that makes huge changes to the Spore interface, even more so than Platinum Spore. Currently, version 1.1 is the newest version and it is unlikely that 1.2 will be completed as it appears to have been scrapped. (Mod creators note: Orbit Spore 1.2 was released at some point.)
Orbit spore adds all the parts from all the stages into the creature editor allowing Creature-machine hybrids to be created.
Other Features Edit
OrbitSpore also adds a ton of new tools and weapons to the Space Stage.
(Mod creators note:Mod download)
Dark Injection Edit
A mod created by a user named "Davo" that add parts from Darkspore into the creature creator, and aims to remove restrictions on editors. Creatures with the Darkspore parts cannot be shared, but they can be placed in adventures and viewed by others, though they will not appear in the Sporepedia. However, creatures with the Darkspore parts can be seen in-game when players are playing in any stage.
In the current version, players also can use all outfitter, captain, and even Grox parts. In addition to this, there are even silicon-like limbs that do not appear in game, making the creation of floating creatures much easier.
The mod also allows creatures to be edited in space stage, and removes the complexity limit allowing for infinitely complex creatures.
If the files are not added properly, all Darkspore parts will have their textures corrupted as well as all parts being completely devoid of animations.
The latest version of Dark Injection includes these features:
- Plasma, Bio, Quantum, Cyber, and Necro-based limbs.
- Heads, weapons, and body parts from the ingame characters, and ones that aren't used ingame at all.
- Armor parts
- Crogenitor masks.
- Invisible limbs.
- Invisible feet and graspers
- Special abilities such as "Dual Blade Spin" and "Plasma Blast".
- Mouths that makes sound.
- Parts unlockable in Creature Stage.
- Parts from all stages.
- Parts do not use DNA points, nor do they take up complexity in the creature or cell creator.
- In the building editor, roofs and main parts can be rotated in any direction if the player presses TAB.
- Special effects taken throughout the Spore creators (including effects from Captain parts, building parts, Adventure special effects, and vehicle effects.)
- 3D cell editor
- Additional part handles to some creature parts.
- Additional paint options.
- Multiple additional charge abilities that can damage and stun.
- Grox parts.
- Genetic modifier, which allows the creatures themselves to be edited in the tribal, civilization, and space stages.
- Additional parts found on cells, but normally cannot be acquired.
- Creatures have unlimited height.