| Planet Buster is a Featured Article
"Planet Buster" has been featured, meaning it was deemed an article of interest by the Community.
"Destroys an entire planet. Feared by all. BIG BADDA BOOM"
When the Planet Buster is fired, a projectile resembling that of an Anti-Matter Missile and Anti-Matter Bomb appears. After its detonation, the planet slowly swells before its crust is completely blown apart, preventing the molten mantle from cooling and forming into a new planet.
The planet buster was first seen in the 2005 GDC Presentation, when Will demonstrated a weapon on his UFO capable of destroying an entire planet, causing it to become a simple ball of fire surrounded by a supernova-like ring.
Damage: Permanently destroys planet and orbiting moons. Other Notes:
- Breaks the Galactic Code.
- A useful tool to impress the Grox
- Cannot be used on save games without special modding.
- Planets destroyed this way cannot be repaired. It will only be a floating ball of lava. Returning to the star system will cause the planet to completely disappear, as thought it was never there.
- Destroying twenty planets grants the Quietus Star Achievement. Obliterating Earth in the Sol System grants the Oh the Humanity! Achievement.
- If used on the only planet in a star system, the spacecraft will simply fly over the star. The spacecraft cannot land, and will be repelled, as though the star is a gas giant. However, the player can zoom in close to that star.
- This tool requires purchased ammunition.
- When fired, the planet cannot be left until after the cutscene.
- Can not be stopped or reversed in any way without loading a previous save game.
Breaking the Galactic Code only makes local empires that are at a maximum of 10pc from the epicenter angry, possibly to the point where they will start a war. If you want to "test" the weapon, do it far away from your neighborhood in other part of the galaxy (beware of nearby empires; they may get angry), or use it near the Grox. Or, if you wish to ally the Grox, perform it on a planet near one of their systems for a +10 relationship boost. You can do this a maximum of 5 times for a maximum boost of 50 relationship points.
This tool uses purchased ammunition.
- In concept, the Planet Buster is similar to many planet-destroying superweapons in science fiction.
- In the computer game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, the weapon "Planet buster" Was a nuclear missile which would create a massive crater on wherever it impacts, destroying any cities or units within the radius. While it does not destroy the planet, it does cause all other factions to declare war the attacker, as it breaks the "UN charter", the games equivalent of the galactic code.
- The phrase "BIG BADDA BOOM" is from the 1997 sci-fi film, The Fifth Element.
- The Planet Buster is the only purchasable item that breaks the Galactic Code.
- There is an extremely rare glitch in which the colonies on a planet will not be destroyed while the planet will be and the empire attacked will still remain and attack you, (assuming they are your enemies). The colonies will not be able to be interacted with by the player making them only a nuisance if they are at war with you since you can't ask for ships or for them to attack your enemies.