The Ruined Planet is a unique planet that always orbits a star very near the player's Home Star. The planet has no spice geysers and so cannot be colonized manually. However, occasionally an AI race places a colony down on it, and so it can be captured or purchased.
As part of the Space Stage tutorial you will find ruins of a long lost civilization. You soon find out that they were wiped out by the Grox. As soon as you scan the city, its automated security drones appear and, believing that the player is one of the Grox, attack them. This is the first time you will use weapons against other spaceships (assuming that you attack the ships that come after you).
- The Ruined Planet is a part of the Space Stage Tutorial.
- Although it never has spice geysers, it will still produce spice if it is colonized, either by a computer-controlled empire or by use of a Monolith. It can then be bought using a trade route.
- Sometimes glitches can occasionally create non-functional white spice geysers.
- If the planet is colonized, it will produce spice based on it's orbit and parent star, i.e. a red dwarf with a green orbit will produce red spice, a green orbit around a yellow star will typically produce yellow spice, etc. See the chart here for more examples.
- It is a good place to set up a "zoo planet", as it does not have too many other uses.
- While the player cannot colonize it, it can sometimes advance into the Tribal Stage if left alone long enough. If the sapient species advances any further, it will be impossible to colonize the planet except by the use of a Monolith. The wreckage conceals the cities and it is unknown if this is a glitch. Some players have found that it sometimes advances to space stage.
- The species name is random on all games, and sometimes automatically hates you.
- When you end the transmission, your species can be seen in the image panel of the communication. As there are temples and religious statues on your homeworld, this may be another example of an ancient civilization from your homeworld.
- At some point during the Creature Stage, an alien ship is shown to come to your planet and abduct some of the creatures there. The ruined planet may be an old civilization of your species, as mentioned before, who were taken to that planet.
- This may alternately be a lost human colony, as most, if not all, of the ruined buildings look like human skyscrapers.
- There are three destroyed cities on the planet.
- Unlike the similar planet orbiting your Home Star, the Ruined Planet is sometimes a moon.
Colonizing the planet Edit
A way to colonize it is:
Alternatively, you could wait until the planet naturally evolves to Space or another empire colonises it, and then capture/buy it. You have much more control over the first method, though.