SRS-42 the Missile Commander is a Cyber Tempest in Darkspore who uses ranged explosive weapons as his primary means of attack. He was nearly killed by a poisonous gas in the factory he worked at, but Suzu rescued him and turned him into a cyborg in order to help him defend Infinity from the Darkspore invasion.
SRS-42 was first seen in Squads and Abilities trailer, where viewers noticed him in one of the heros' squad deck, and was first seen in action in the Loot trailer. On the Darkspore forum, senior systems designer Paul Sottosanti revealed his name and title upon request.
Once, SRS-42 was a humble mechanical engineer on the planet Infinity. But as he lay dying on a factory floor from the toxins that had already killed 99% of his people, SRS-42 received an alien visitation: the Crogenitor Suzu.
Bowing to heal him, Suzu fused SRS-42’s dying body with the very machines he’d spent a lifetime constructing and repairing. He became, as a cyborg, a mobile combat rocket launcher.
Leaving the factory that would have been his grave, SRS-42 was confronted by waves of creatures he’d never seen before: the invading Darkspore.
Reacting with astonishing speed, SRS-42 obliterated phalanx after phalanx of Darkspore ground forces before turning his remaining rockets onto a Darkspore troop carrier and a Darkspore destroyer. Their hulls ripped apart like the flesh of great beasts, they crashed into the toxic sludge of a poisoned ocean where they ignited like miniature suns.
Reborn from death, SRS-42 possessed no fear. Any who dared his challenge had a simple choice: immediately overpower him, or face total annihilation.
Heat Seekers-Basic Attack.
Missile Barrage-Launches volley of 15 missiles in 4 sec. Does 40 damage per missile. 18 sec cooldown.
Omni shield-Instantly removes all status effects and prevents damage and status effects for 4 sec. 30 sec cooldown.
Flak Cannon(Squad Ability)-Emits a burst of flak that prematurely detonates enemy projectiles. Has a 5m radius and 3 sec cooldown.
- SRS-42 is the only hero to have two legs and no arms, making him have the least amount of limbs of all the heroes.
- His overall appearance resembles the AT-ST walkers from the Star Wars universe, as well as various mechs in the MechAssault and MechWarrior series.
- His appearance even more closely resembles ED-209 from RoboCop.
- The number "42" in his name is an obvious reference to the book/TV show/film franchise The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, in which a giant supercomputer on a planet called Magrithia concludes that the number 42 was the ultimate answer to life, the universe, and everything. This reference also turns up in Spore on numerous occasions.
- SRS often stands for "Safety Response System", which may have something to do with him being a Tempest character.
- SRS-42 is the only known Cyber hero who cannot use the Zetawatt Beam by default.