Missing icon. SVG and PNG are preferred, but JPG is also accepted.
"Use on planet to completely terraform it in an instant."
“We have devoted ourselves to spreading life throughout the galaxy. Every new world that we seed with life becomes not only a home for our species, but a repository of nature that can assure the survival of life even if other worlds are destroyed.”
- - Stones of Life, Volume 3
The Staff of Life (formerly known as the "Genesis Device") is an item given to the player upon reaching and entering the center of the galaxy. Upon using the staff on a planet, the planet is quickly terraformed to a T-Score of 3 (T3), with fully completed ecosystems. These ecosystems will be assigned random animals and plants that exist in the game, so it is quite useful if you need a larger variety of species. It can also completely stop an eco-disaster dead in its tracks with a single shot. The effect of this device can be rather impressive.
Unfortunately, it is limited to 42 uses (a reference to Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy) and cannot be recharged without some kind of hack or mod.
Currently, while using the Staff, certain traits do not update, such as the water level of a planet, unless you were to use another terraforming tool such as the Cloud Accumulator, which with a simple half-second click of usage will properly update the change in water level and terraformations acquired with different atmosphere and temperature level. Doing this during or after the Staff's sequence will properly update the levels.
The Staff of Life may also cause the game to crash as soon as the Terrascore of the planet reaches either T2 or T3 (varies from game to game).
Sometimes when using, planets will terraform to T3, but when its power disappears, T-Score will instantly go back to T0.
- The Staff of Life may be a nod to Star Trek 2: Wrath of Khan and Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock, where a similar device is used to "create life, from where there once was none", and it is even called the Genesis Device. The same can be said for the Fallout 2 G.E.C.K. or Garden of Eden Creation Kit.
- In the Spore Galactic Edition Galactic Handbook, the manual incorrectly calls the Staff of Life the "Staff of Light".
- The staff of life's acronym is SOL, latin for sun, and also the name of our solar system. Which may also point towards the fact that many believe that the creation originated from earth.
- An Ecologist Empire might give you a collect mission to find a plate in which holds the records of the 'Genesis Project' (A vanished civilization was working on this Project) that can turn barren worlds into perfect, stable planets.
- The Staff of Life is limited to 42 uses, a reference to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, in which 42 is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything (however, nobody knows the question).
- The phrase "staff of life" refers to staple foodstuff, most commonly bread.