| Staff of Life is a Featured Article
"Staff of Life" has been featured, meaning it was deemed an article of interest by the Community.
“We have devoted ourselves to spreading life throughout the galaxy. Every new world that we seed with life becomes not only a home for our species, but a repository of nature that can assure the survival of life even if other worlds are destroyed.”
- - Stones of Life, Volume 3
The Staff of Life (formerly known as the "Genesis Device") is an item given to the player upon reaching the Galactic Core and speaking to Steve. Upon using the staff on a planet, it is quickly terraformed to T-Score 3, with fully completed ecosystems. These ecosystems will be assigned random animals and plants that exist in the game, so it is quite useful if you need a larger variety of species. It can also completely stop an eco-disaster dead in its tracks with a single shot. As such, the device is useful for a variety of reasons, including making alliances with other empires, with the noted exception of the Grox. This adds a +100 modifier for "helping our "planet", therefore contributing to achieving the Diplomat badge.
The Staff is limited to 42 uses, a reference to the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, and cannot be recharged. Using the Staff has no impact on either the Terra-Wrangler or Zoologist badges, unless the player is using terraforming tools while the Staff of Life is in effect.
- The Staff of Life may be a nod to Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, where a similar device is used to "create life, from where there once was none", and it is even called the Genesis Device. Similar fictional devices have appeared in other works.
- In the Spore Galactic Edition Galactic Handbook, the manual incorrectly calls the Staff of Life the "Staff of Light".
- The Staff of Life's acronym is Sol, which may point towards the fact that many believe that the device originated from Earth.
- The Staff of Life has the tendency to turn planets green, though not always.
- The Staff of Life does not change the terrain of the planet.
- An Ecologist empire might give you a collect mission to find a plate in which holds the records of the 'Genesis Project', a project that was being worked on by a vanished civilization, that can turn barren worlds into perfect, stable planets.
- As mentioned, the Staff of Life is limited to 42 uses, a reference to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, in which 42 is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything (however, nobody knows the question).