I have a new idea for the fiction! And no, its not another war...
Its concerns all surviving empires in the Milky Way galaxy. Galactic society. The Milky Way is cram packed with various civilizations, some human, humanoid and "truly alien", many from SporeWiki, Maxis and even a few sci-fi civilizations. It is not surprising then, that due to the vastness of space, and range of completely different intelligences, that there is little likelyhood or interest in such a Galactic Civilization to even exist. However, the Milky Way is currently locked in a growing war, the Imperial Civil War, which is going to kill off or reduce many of the uneeded empires (sci-fi, Maxis, minor empires and maybe even forcing the Grox out) and with the emerging danger of the Cult of the Deathmarch, instead of post-war conflicts, the Milky Way might band together under one huge banner (this could happen after the Imperial Civil War).
The empire's name I plan will simply be called The Civilization, it may sound be simple, but that is what it is, and actually, I think such a simple name would be a good change from fancy names. For instance, one of the greatest sci-fi novels ever involved a civilization were simply called The Culture. For any SporeWiki empires you own in the Milky Way don't want to join that is fine. The Civilization, will be less like an organization, or even the Galactic Empire from Star Wars, but would be based more something like the Culture. It might involve new science fiction themes, such as transevolution, making the SporeWiki universe more detailed and use hard scince fiction, which despite the fact sticks the current laws of physics, isn't limiting (my DCP fiction isn't limiting, now is it?), in fact it might improve everyone's fiction as a whole in terms of realism and kill off silly technologies.
Finally, this doesn't mean you will lose ownership of your empire, in those respects they are still under your control, so can act independantly from Civilization (which by the way all can share, but not the name, I want to keep that). But when major events, threats or disasters occur on a galactic scale, Civilization will be there. Not to mention, it will be Tier 1 with all that technology, it could greatly enhance your empire. Its not too different from the Cyrandia Alliance really. Maybe one day, it could become a collective.
To see what Hard Science fiction looks like, and too see how mind blowing it can be, then visit Orion's Arm, another collaborative universe which I hope SporeWiki's detail could match in size one day.
Additional notes Edit
Things I have thought of since first writing this blog:
- Civilization is more of a sort of galactic society or culture. All cultures have their own ways, but there is a galactic standard. Think of a planetary Type 1 civilization. Civilization doesn't have to span the entire galaxy either, it might start off small, as its presence grows other empires may join, until it reaches the unexplored regions of the galaxy ("jungle") and beyond (putting the concept of size back into the universe). It is possible even for evil empires to join Civilization - they may have little choice!
- Other civilizations might start forming in other galaxies. The reformed Seven Starr Alliance could act as a connection between these galaxies.
- Possible war with the Inog Swarm - Me and The Valader have discussed a war between the DCP and the Inog before, but I have been very busy, with the various wars and recovery of the Dark era, and recent other science fiction stories for the new Transevolitionary era. Instead, maybe they fight Civilization? This might expand The Valader's fiction too.
- Turning the "Civilized" potions of the galaxy into "cities". Imagine a netwrok of Wormhole-like krasnikov tubes acting as a "national grid" streaming stellar energy throughout the galaxy. Stellar engines and artificial black holes sort of acting like power stations. This is how the DCP do it.
- Possible fiction idea:all this large-scale distortion of space eventually leads to damage the galactic environment.
- Everyone wants to be Tier 1, while indepandantly they are not, in some aspects even much lower tier empires could gain access to some (maybe not all though) of these technologies and power sources.
- A type of grain which can be replicated differently to different species's standards, to feed starving empires. Possble fiction - poisoning?
- Things like the United Defense Network and Interspecies Scientific Alliance.
- However, Civilization may be Tier 1, but the empires part might not be, however, Civilization works over all empires as a whole to be tier 1 (but its members are still in their original tier, but get certain Tier 1 benefits).
Different announcement Edit
The Imperial Civil War is hitting the Ottzello, Girdo and Milky Way galaxies very hard, a lot of minor (NPC-style) empires have been destroyed, sci-fi empires have either been extincted, forced to escape or even ascend, and an attack on the DCP delt a heavy blow. The Grox have re-emerged too. But there isn't many other SporeWiki empires involved, which are also major powers of the Milky Way, and it would seem right that they should now galaxy has been left in this state. This is a request for native empires:Jovar, Gablinus-Avis, Taxton, Trucinex, BNSC and other natives to get more involved. Extragalactic empires can as well if they want, if not, maybe they just escape as the galaxy falls into chaos, like the Sylits, Doriaca and Cognatus? If you don't want them to interact with sci-fi empires they don't have to, most have been either destroyed or forced into retreat now. If not, then maybe the New Grox Wars, which is linked to this one, the Taxton would be cool in that, and maybe the Loron gain a foothold in all this...
An even newer announcement Edit
Civilization has arived! I plan lots of non-war fictions with this, so please see its dicussion page for my ideas. There will be wars though, perhaps one with the Inog Swarm some time in the future. Either add your empire to members or non-members. I am considering to allow extragalactic empires in as well.
Fiction plans Edit
Okay, my Civilization hasn't really been getting much attention (cries jk)! I guess its because it is just another forum-styled thing. Well actually, its because no one really knows what I'm doing with it yet. Well anyway, I thinks its time to announce them. There will be less war-based fiction. Extragalactic empire can now join.
Things already done
- Galactic-wide restoration has begun.
- More space for Tier U and Truly Alien "xenocivilizations".
- Standard grain - a food that is compatable with various lifeforms. Quantum replicator technology (thanks to the SSA) can easily customoze it to fit almost any species.
- Establishment of the galactic commonwealth - For smaller empires, or ones recovering (and most sci-fi civs). They won;t be very important from now on as thy are one nation, except a few like the Borg or Daleks.
- Shared power sources - Empires can share a few designated rotating black holes and stellar engines. They can be used for certain goals.
Science Fiction I plan
I plan lots of short sci-fi stories, don't worry, they won't be has hard core as my Legacy fiction!
- Studying Truly Alien life - The DCP, Girdo and the rest might want to try and study some really weird lifeforms. I have a plan for the first one. It is based slightly on a book called Dragon's Egg or the Raft. A team is sent to study a neutron star, and swimming in its electron oceans are weird lifeforms. Gas giant life can also be studied.
- Contacting the uncontactable - Some species' brains are wired completely differently, so percieve and understand the world differently. Although there maybe cultural or perceptual differences, nearly all intelligent species have mathematics. Mathematics is self-creating, and its absolute in the universe, no matter was perception a species has. In mathematical language, a bridge can be created between very different-thinking species. Some of the Tier U civilizations could be contacted, unlocking whole new stories.
- Me and Mathew Mossley have an idea of a non-war fiction where the DCP discover the relics of the ancient Doriaca civilizations (before the current one). Perhaps this could involve "The Civilization" as well.
- All this astronenginnering leads to damage in subspace.
- The Conferederacy might have competion with "The Civilization" in colonizing the galaxy. I plan a cold war though.
- Jovar Civil War - "The Civilization" might influence both sides without conflicting with either.
- Reclaiming Reach - Yes Zazane, you might have the entire galaxy to deal with soon!
- Future Inog conflicts
- The anarchist organization Matt what to make, maybe they poison Standard grain?
- The biggest thing I plan yet, is the dominance of AI gods. Some might be created, some will evolve, and their impact on the galaxy will be subtle at first. Eventually, there will controversies, like the poisoning of the Standard grain and subspace damage. Eventually the AI's will take over Civilization. They won't be dictators, they won't be evil, but they believe they can run the the Milky Way cooperative better than normal sapients. This will cause some empires to believe they will need to catch up. The DCP will gain a huge rise in postsapients.
How it will be done
Some of the bigger goals will be collaborative subpages. The Missions and Goals section can be used as a forum for members (but not as much as the SSA) and important events will be written in the history section.
BTW, the second goal is now out - Goal 2 - First Contact. You can even join as a non-Civilization member, as simply working for it. Ghelae has joined it, and we will write some stories featuring Tier Unknown civilizations and exotic life forms, like life on white dwarf stars or floating in the clouds of Gas Giants.